Friday, December 10, 2010

Fifteen Days: Day 8.foodz

I have been thinking for a while now that I am very ready to go home.  There’s something comforting about the US.  Yes, yes, yes, I know that I rave constantly about how great London is and how fantastic Europe has been and how different life is in a big city and blah, blah, blah, but there comes a point when you realize you have left some pretty wonderful things back with your roots too.  Family and friends immediately come to mind.  I have to be honest, too: I am ready to leave this beautiful city.  For now, anyway…who knows how I will be feeling on Wednesday or Friday or that fateful Saturday.  (To be fair, I know that I will want to stay forever and ever and I will have to drag myself to the tube and through the airport with all of my luggage and tear drops.  I also know that I will look hella good doing it.  Sure, I’ll be a fucking mess, but DAMN!  I’ve already picked my outfit for leaving next week and it’s going to be a good one to leave on.  Plus, the hair is getting all cleaned up for the arrival.  Leaving in London in style, that’s for sure.  Jesus, this is a long ass parenthetical.  Moving on!)

So, yeah, I am ready this evening to say goodbye for now and see you soon.  Will I be in a week’s time?  Absolutely not.

Today was magical, to tell the truth.  After an awkward evening of everyone being on edge following a great afternoon, this morning’s mellow atmosphere was more than welcome.  I don’t know what the issue was, but most of us seemed a little off.  Whatever!  There’s bound to be times like that in any situation.  Back to today: Borough Markets with Jamie, Jenny, Kelly, Steven, Drew, Izzy, Ben, Christine, and Michael. 

The market itself is full of food.  No really, it’s only a food market!  There was plenty of fresh produce, a great deal of jams and cheese, and the occasional dead rabbit or pheasant hanging from a hook just outside of the food handlers’ mitts.  Yep, that was nasty.  I am not one to look upon hanging animals with a lot of admiration; I think it’s quite cruel, really.  Still, no judgment.  If that’s how one person needs to make their living, I have to step back and realize that it might just be all that they know.  Maybe it’s a family tradition?  Maybe it’s not my place to even analyze?

On the quick note of food: I definitely made some delicious fried rice the other night and even documented it!  Hooray!  No, still not as good as the pop’s, but ‘twas not that bad! 

Well that was unrelated.  Just some shameless self promotion! 

We all grabbed lunch in the market because, duh, where better to eat delicious food than a market that specializes in just that?  Well, it was delicious.  Most of our group opted for some of the stalls at the front of the market, while another bunch stopped at a little curry stand.  Jenny, Kelly, and I tried out the local organic veggie stop for some Veggie Stew and Spicy Veggie Fajitas.  If you ask me, I think that the three of us made the right decision.  That was some tasty, tasty chow.  Also, we got to enjoy some fresh squeezed juice!  I had carrot-orange, and I think that J-Bird enjoyed cranberry-apple…that might be wrong though.  Whatever we had, it was delicious! 

After lunch and some perusing, we walked along south bank toward the National Theatre.  I took some pictures of the miniature skate park that I had been meaning to get to all semester and I finally got some good shots of the place that I think my brother would enjoy the most about London.  Hard to say, though, because Erick would probably like the rest of this city just as much as the skate park.  The graffiti was insanely cool and I even managed to get a snap shot of a guy mid air.  He sort of just popped into the frame.  Kinda neat!  We continued on to the Chocolate Festival where we enjoyed some free churro samples and other miscellaneous chocolatey goodness.  I think that Karen would have really enjoyed herself at the chocolate market.  There was a cool both about chocolate pairings and the drinks that good really well with certain types of cocoa…I wish they had brochures for me to bring back: too much information in one conversation!

There was also an espresso stand in the fair that belonged to the staff of the UK Latte Art Champions of 2010, Exchange Coffee.  The guy who made my extra dry cappuccino was none other than Neil himself, the UK Latte Art Champion!  I was very impressed with my drink: I guess I should expect no less from the “best coffee in London.”  Of course, I IMMEDIATELY went to River Rock in my head: MISS YOU PEOPLE LIKE CRAZY-SAUCE!


I just watched a group of people rollerskate down Kings Road while singing Christmas Carols.  I don’t think that could have come at a better point in the night: I was so utterly and emotionally moved.  Ah!  I love this place. 

Currently: it’s time to get ready for another fantastic night in London. 

Interesting how this happens, someone should really do a study, but: I never want to leave.


No comments:

Post a Comment