Monday, December 13, 2010

Fifteen Days: Day 11.examz

Finals have officially started in little ol’ London.  Yessir, they are alive and kicking.  I had my very first one this morning, actually, and I thought that it went quite well.  It helped that it was definitely for one of my favorite classes this semester: Pre-Raphaelites.  The exam was four sections, four essays.  It was very straight forward.  I like exams that reward for you attending class and taking notes.  If that’s all you have to do well, I’m happy.  Still, I was rather nervous.  You see, I have never taken a cumulative final in my life.  Nope, not one.  Most of my classes simply build on previous theories and examples covered in previous exams.  I guess their sort of cumulative, but not strictly so.  Anyway, the final for art history was 100% cumulative.  I was writing about things I learned back in September.  I guess it’s never too late to surprise yourself with how much you can learn in a semester.  Basically I have become a well of information for 19th century artists in England.  I guess that’s sort of cool.

Useful?  Nah.  But, still, I enjoyed the class.

Speaking of classes that are over, we all got a text from our creative writing professor recently that was in response to our last in class exercise about what sharing our writing music felt like to us.  Of course, I was uncomfortable about the whole ordeal because walls are like my favorite thing ever, but I am guessing some of the other responses were pretty similar because most of Atima’s response was about never letting the world getting us down and always feeling the passion of life.  It was a little odd, admittedly, but it was quite a nice sentiment.  And it was nice to hear from a professor on my cell phone for a non-class related issue.  Really, it was about her caring enough to send us all a note saying: keep going, guys.  I’m a fan.

I have no idea what’s on the agenda for this evening.  Usually, My Old Dutch is part of the agenda, but most of us have other plans this evening and it’s not even £5 anymore now that the Christmas menu has rolled around.  Oh well, maybe we’ll hit it up late this week.  So other than NOT eating delicious chicken curry pancakes, I have no plans.  I think I will head back to ASDA in search of a cheap duffel bag.  I went on Sunday because they’re open 24 hours, but I guess that means open until 5pm.  Who knew?!

I AM READY TO SEE MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS IN THE UNITED STATES.  I keep reminding myself to be a sponge.  To just soak it all up because who really knows when this gets to happen again.  Believe, I am soaking it up, trying to stay upbeat, but I am so ready to be home.  Odd, right?  I wonder if anyone else that studied abroad before me felt like that with just 5 days left or if it was just a great sadness to be leaving the places they studied in.  Blerg.

Also: today I woke up to discover that I my oyster card has gone missing.  C’mon, 5 days before I’m leaving you have to just up and disappear?  I totally had you last night!  Just come back to me because I CANNOT afford to pay for travel by the day.  It’s just not going to happen, brotha.  I will be walking everywhere from now until the end of the semester.  I don’t mind, but I can definitely tell you that come Saturday night when I am eating B’Dubs, I am going to be straight up exhausted.

Oh, and Ke$ha isn’t happening.  Tickets got to expensive after I realized that I had done the order wrong.  My card was never charged and I never got tickets.  By the time my dumb ass realized this last week: tickets were way too expensive.  I guess I will just have to hang out with her after the concert.  Izzy made the connection that Drew is Taylor Swift and I am Ke$ha.  Sometimes I cringe at how accurate that comparison is…

My Mom moved into her new house this weekend and it’s a very exciting time for her.  Also, because she has moved in, that means that I have two new homes to celebrate Christmas.  My dad’s place will be a new one for me as well!  Weird, right?

Okay.  It’s Monday night in London:  Time to get my ass in gear and enjoy some of this beautiful city.

“I really can’t stay, I’ve got to go away, this evening has been so very nice.”  -GLEE version, please.   

Cheers,
Jish Pish Nish Fish

1 comment:

  1. I TOTALLY know what you mean about being homesick... I've been feeling like I just want the next week to fly by so I can be home already. But then when I stop to actually think about it, I know that as soon as I see/hug everyone I want to back home... I'll immediately wish I was in Europe again. It will be so good to catch up with everyone though (including you!) over some much needed drinks at Zonas. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete