Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Tube.cutz

Just because I plugged the Ethernet cord in, doesn’t mean I have to use it right?

I am sitting in the kitchen because I tell myself that I work better in there than I do in my room.  Really, I don’t work well in either space, but at least there’s no internet in the kitchen!  Unfortunately, there isn’t an outlet either; time spent away from a power source can be very taxing when you’ve been bumming around on your laptop for the better part of an evening.  So: I am out of power which means it’s time to go back to the room and “work” on this midterm essay that I have been trying to tackle since that time I went to gay pub and got a substantial amount of work done.  How I managed to get more done amidst a sea of laughing gay men and their surrogate daughter than I can finish anywhere else will always be a mystery to me.

Now I’ve just made the terrible mistake of plugging my Ethernet cord into my computer.  That means, if I wanted, I could go on Facebook!  Or go to blogspot!  Or go to gamespot!  Or go to texts from last night!  Or go to BBC!  Or…well, do so many, many things!  But I am resisting for now.  I am going to write a post instead of doing real work because than I am actually doing something meaningful even if I am avoiding the glaring problems behind my pseudo productivity.

Oh, guess what happened on the tube today!  These things:

When I was boarding the tube in Holborn, returning to South Kensington to do something drastic and perhaps too impulsive (IMAGINE THAT!), I watched a father and his 2-3 year old son board the train and take the two vacant seats across from me.  The dad, who was mighty fine, mind you, was carrying a light blue bag that was filled to the brim with organic snacks and files of legal paper.  (Yes, I looked.  I shameless stuck my neck out and looked into this man’s bag.  Yes, he caught me.  Blah blah blah, I am really awkward.)  The boy was snacking on a bag of panda shaped potato crisps and I couldn’t help but smile at him in his little blue waist coat, skinny little chords, and miniature doc martens.  Then he got the hiccups.  If you’ve ever wondered what the most adorable thing in the whole world is, I have an answer for you: a little boy with a mop of curly blonde hair trying to stop his hiccups while his very attractive father sings aloud to him in an attempt to make him laugh and forget that he has “bubbles in his mouth.”  SWEET BABY JESUS.  Sweet-seven-pound-six-ounce-Jesus is that not the most precious thing in the world?

I happened to be sitting next to a very smelly old man at the time.  I remember that his hair was gray and long and straggly.  The way he smelled was…ick.  Not icky, ick.  He smelled as though he had rolled in a trough of expired milk and then dried himself off with moldy bread.  He was dressed well, too!  He appeared to be a normal, upstanding citizen of London, but that smell…No, I will never forget it.
    
When the guy in purple rimmed glasses boarded, I didn’t so much mind the smell anymore.  Rather I smile up at him until he caught my glance and returned it with an inquisitive cock of his head.  I looked back down at my book and visibly smirked.  When we arrived at Knightsbridge, he left the cart and I thought about how badly I wanted his frames.  They were bomb.

The last figure to catch my eye before I left the station for the Residence Hall was a woman sitting just down the way on the opposite side of the aisle.  She was wearing four coats.  Count them, four coats.  They all had hoods and each of them was a different color.  I was perplexed.  I wanted to ask her why she wore so many coats and why she needed them.  Are you cold?  Are you destitute?  Are you moving and couldn’t fit those coats in your pile of boxes?  TELL ME!   Maybe she would have if I had the balls to ask.  I imagine she would have just shrugged me off and retreated into a layer or two of her garmentry.
I saw a pigeon with one leg when I came up from the station.  At first I thought, OMG!  One legged pigeon!  Then I felt a strange mixture of sadness and humor.  There is nothing funny about an animal missing a leg though…what’s wrong with me!

And now I have plugged my computer into the internet which means that this post is finished because I am about to get distracted.
Oh.  Today I got a haircut.


Forgive the Myspace Photo, but this is the first image 


1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness, how i love thee. i want to hear more of your tales!!

    -Janice-

    ReplyDelete