Saturday, September 11, 2010

Riding.bumz

Of course it’s natural to feel lonely in a city that eleven million people call home. Today, I am lonely. I am embraced by the wind in an awkward hug that reminds me that I am somewhere very far away from comfort. It’s surprising. It’s exhausting. Elaine said it would be a roller coaster of emotions for the first couple of days. Perhaps it is possible to take such rides minutes at a time and this phase will snap like the way my glasses did this morning. The crunch of hideous sunglasses beneath bare feet in the morning: nothing like it.


The visit to the Centre today was draining. Oh hey, Jet Lag! Orientation could not be longer. Until tomorrow and the next day and the next day houses the same activities. Bleh. Luckily, I had not the need to stay back for the breakout sessions following the three hour orientation and immediately dashed home—by ‘dash’ I clearly mean walked 10, tubed 15, walked 15—and found my room unoccupied. I sat down to an Internetless computer and sighed a large, unnecessary sigh.

I took my first nap of the trip. It was amazing.

The desertion of day took place beneath the ground in a 30 minute trip to Mansion House aboard the district line. Destination: Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre. We stood (STOOD) at the show for 2.5 hours of Shakespearian dialogue and humor. And you know what? It was positively lovely. Brilliant, even. The players were phenomenal and the story, The Merry Wives of Windsor, was surprisingly hilarious. Everything about the show was endearingly Shakespearian; it couldn’t have been more enjoyable or necessary.

The night was warm and the walk back was pleasant.

The time spent on the first floor kitchen was less than appealing. You know when people are obnoxiously straight/condescendingly heterosexual? It was like spending forty minutes at The Swamp freshman year. What a waste of breath.

Ugh. Cleanse. Wash, rinse, DO NOT repeat. The sour blog is already come. Now, be gone.

There are people here that are more than worth an hour of bad interaction. I am not lonely, I am just riding the ride, waiting to get off at the gate where orientation is over and classes have started.

2 comments:

  1. I love you and think of you every day! Drink some really good wine now! How is that shoe box of trinkets going?

    HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I freaking love your blog.

    Favorite line: It was like spending forty minutes at The Swamp freshman year. What a waste of breath.

    I love you mucho and miss you even more!!!!!

    ReplyDelete