Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Ten Photos.rankz

I have this weird fascination with ranking things.  I think speech did it to me; or, was I already obsessed with rankings before hand?   Maybe I only liked speech because things got ranked…Huh. 

Nah.

So, anyway, I like to compile top ten lists because of my odd inkling toward all things counted down.  Also, people have been asking for this blog for a while so I’ve finally taken the step and hand selected ten of my favorite photos from the first half of the semester.  That’s right, folks, this is finally the blog where I will be recounting some of the best moments of this semester with photos of the people you’ve been reading about for the last two months.  Careful, some of these photos might frighten children or elicit tears from adults.  Whatever.  You’ll deal.

With no further adieu,

Number 10  (I just realized that I can do the whole, “I call it…” thing with every one of these photos to give them titles!  Such a pretentious artist.  Love it.)

I call it: Scaled.

Jacque and Izzy have had an interesting relationship from day one.  When Jacque moved into the building, she was a day early.  Given her personality and incessant need to immerse herself in people, you can imagine how disastrously difficult it was for her to spend the night by her lonesome in this big ol’ city.  Some of you will say, ‘it was only one night!’  You clearly do not know Miss Jacque Donahue.  When Izzy entered the room for the first time, Jacque allegedly didn’t stop speaking for seven hours.  I believe it; that girl wants to know everything about you, and not in a creepy or obsessive way.  She’s actually just that interested.  Anyway, this photo represents their first meeting.  Jacque speaking until she’s red in the face and Izzy being, well, Izzy.  The smaller of the two is so consistently herself that this photo could have actually been taken anywhere at any time and she would be willing to make the same face.  I can’t get enough of either of them.

Number 9

I call it: exertion. 

Let me just point out the obvious.  Steve is less than a third of the size of the pole.  There is more of it in the water and behind the little boat.  Seriously.  What is most impressive here is that Steve actually managed to use the pole to punt down the river like a champ—at least I think he did, I wasn’t actually there, so I am more or less making everything up as I go.  Whatever, I can tell a story when I need to.  (Get it?  Because I’m a champion storyteller? Duh.)  So, from what I gather, Steve eventually got the ball rolling and was able to steer and propel the boat, but what is most entertaining is imagining him doing it next to Drew in the boat next to them.  Drew, who obviously has been punting since childhood, was gliding all over the water leaving Steve rocking on the waves of the other little boat.  Isn’t that a funny image?  It only gets funnier when you think of Steve-O falling into the river and having to use the pole to climb up to shore…Ha.

Number 8


I call it: Violet

Ben is possibly the most dynamic person I have met in my short lifetime.  I don’t think that anyone could fit into every group as well as this guy can; he is one malleable, versatile character.  I often wonder if he is actually just a cartoon.  This night, which I blogged about previously—you know, when Izzy, Ben, and I logged a night in Hyde Park while they enjoyed their imaginary first date—still remains an evening of epicness.  There is still a video that has yet to be released to the public showing the events that transpired following our journey with three bottles of wine.  It’s really just a recording of Izzy and I singing the Glee version of Don’t Rain on my Parade and me passing out in our kitchen like a piece of pure class.  In this photograph, we are granted a look at the great success of the first date between these two and the immense romantic tension between them.  Also, the sign in the back points toward Ring Road because Ben was ready to propose after just one evening with Izzy.  Beautiful, no?

Number 7


I call it: DAMN SEXXXY.  There is no pretentious, artistic title for this photo because Jacque and I look fierce as hell.

Taken in Scotland, I think that this is the most recent photograph on this list.  It should be higher (because we are so good looking), but there had to fairness to all photos involved.  In all honesty though, no one wears green and purple like we do.  Notice the pout of Jacque’s lip and the way my hair shadows my face.  That was all us, we knew what we needed to do to make an epic photo.  Talent, talent, talent.  *Smiles*  Okay, so it’s not actually the greatest photo to tell a story about, and that’s why it’s just number seven, but this photograph is pretty damn cool, if I do say so myself.

Number 6

I call it:  Future.

For everyone that’s not aware, Drew and Jenny were engaged in Ireland.  This photo is what was put on the invitations they sent through snail mail for everyone to see how happy they were.  The invitations, however, were seized and burned when a great and dreadful event tore this happy, happy couple apart.  The event wasn’t so much an occurrence, though; it was more of a person.  A certain small, bearded individual came in between this beautiful couple and forced Drew to realize that he was much happier with someone else.  Luckily, Jamie Joyce was just a stand in for the dog they had planned on getting once they moved back to the states, and she was not a victim to the couple’s split.  Still, looking at this photo, it’s depressing to see how happy they were just one month ago.  (Holy shit.  Dublin was a month ago.  Where you going, life?)

Number 5

I call it: Crossroad.

Do you see why I gave it that title?  Look carefully.  Look at the beautiful faces of the three girls.  Look at the handsome face of Steve.  Now pay really close attention to Steve’s eyes.  Do you get it yet?  I’ll give you a hint:  they’re looking in two different directions.  Skills, Steve, skills.  The girls all look so marvelously beautiful—from left to right: Nicole, Emily, and Brandy.  If you’ve ever thought for just a moment that Steve was a well educated, gentle, quite soul, look at this photo!  Are you kidding?  That’s the face of our next President?  I mean, I buy it.  Bush won (twice), right? 

Low blow.  Love you, Steve.

Number 4


I call it: Tremulous

I lead a very happy life.  I really, really do.  Earlier this week, one miss Carrie Bergman posted on my Facebook wall that I was being a little weepy lately in my blog.  I think that might be true, but sometimes you just gotta get the feelings on the page, right?  Sometimes they come out in really high density and it gets to be a bit much for the average reader.  I get it.  Anyway, back on track.  I am a very happy, friendly, genuine, sincere person.  I like to surround myself with people who are pretty similar to me in this regard and I think I do a pretty good job.  In this photo, it’s pretty evident: these are some happy people.  Roy, looking fierce as always, has a wonderful facial expression.  Plus, the glasses are great.  Kelly Belly is on a roller coaster called life while Jamie is clearly in a fantastic mixture of pure joy and terror.  Also, whose hair gets to look that great when they’re jumping?  Let’s be real: I look like Mr. Tumnus from the The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.  Jacque is shouting “LOVE!” and is embracing the world.  Stacy looks hella crazy, and I wouldn’t have her any other way.  She’s a nutter.  A good one.  I actually cannot help but smile when I peek at this picture.

Number 3

I call it: Legacy.

This is where Steve found all the answers to life’s greatest questions.  Where do we come from?  Who will we be?  What do I wear to represent my traditional lifestyle as a leprechaun?  Not only did Steve discover his heritage, but how amazingly happy does he look to be standing in front of the two largest banners of the National Leprechaun Museum?  So happy.  So thrilled.  I think this makes the cut so high because it’s a great representation of who Steve Briles is as a person.  He’s family oriented (obviously!  He returned to the homeland!), happy, and Intelligent.  I mean, he spent the afternoon at a museum while he was in Dublin.  He, my friends, is a champ.  Well, a leprechaun champ which is lesser than a normal human champ.  One day, maybe.  One day.

Number 2

I call it: Squall.

Attention everyone, Izzy is not wearing a coat with a fur-lined hood.  That mass of great 80’s powerbitch-back-combed-and-teased hair is all hers.  We’re not sure what happened in this photo to make Izzy brown look like a member of Wilson Phillips, but we are sure that you cannot look at this photo without laughing.  Seriously, how did that happen to her hair?!  Is she part lion?  I think her inner, ravenous cat was just releasing itself on the shore of Loch Ness and just manifested itself in her otherwise normal hairdo.  Oh.  My.  God.  Do you think Nessie actually just popped up behind her head just in time for the photo?  Yep.  That’s the only reasonable explanation:  a giant, legendary monster turned Izzy into an 80’s master class.

And the winner is…

Number 1


I call it: Bromance.

This photo is the epitome of everyone’s favorite relationship: Drew and Steve.  These two are kinda like the peanut butter and jelly of our group; you don’t often get one without the other—no one minds having either one of them as a heavy presence in our lives.  Steve maybe had too much to drink this particular evening (see previous photo of cross-eyed, hot-drunk-mess) and Drew, being of a, well, Drew-like state, safely guided the poor little man home.  You’ll notice that Steve is craning his neck to look up at Drew, undoubtedly so thankful for his assistance in getting home.  Though Steve-O constantly insisted that Drew just “put him on a bus” because “I’ll find my way home,” Drew stuck it out and took the guy home.  What a precious gem of a photo.  Have you ever seen a more adorable portrait of any bromantic couple?  No, no you haven’t.  And why?  Because no photo can capture a bromance the way that this number one photo has managed to do so well.

So there you have it.  Ten photos, ten titles, ten names.  (Which reminds me that I need to buy 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors for my DSi when I am back in the states…REMIND ME, SOMEONE!)

Do you agree with my choices?  I guess if you don’t…

Try making a list yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment